Pet parents understand the weight of responsibility to protect their furry friends, but unfortunately, accidents do sometimes happen. In the U.S., a pet receives medical care every 2.5 seconds, and …
Pet parents understand the weight of responsibility to protect their furry friends, but unfortunately, accidents do sometimes happen. In the U.S., a pet receives medical care every 2.5 seconds, and one-third of all pets need emergency veterinary treatments every year, according to MetLife Pet Insurance.
Even the most vigilant pet parents have to contend with pet emergencies. Check out some of the most astonishing pet accidents of 2022—and remember these tips about how you can help keep it from happening to your pets in 2023.
Digesting something dangerous: A two-year-old bichon mix ate a sugar-free apple cobbler made with xylitol, which is dangerous for dogs. At first, she seemed all right, but began vomiting the next day and declined rapidly. When she arrived at the emergency hospital, her prognosis was very poor. However, after eight days of supportive care, she fully recovered and survived.
Common household concerns: A nine-month-old kitten hid in a large comforter, unbeknownst to his pet parent, who had set it to dry on high heat. The kitten was stuck in the dryer for 10 minutes before they heard him yelping for help. They immediately rushed him to the emergency vet, and he was kept at the hospital overnight for observation. Luckily for the kitten, there did not appear to be any lasting damage from his eventful trip in the dryer, and he was discharged the next day.
Lingering liquids: A two-month-old shih tzu puppy was caught by his owners licking some Children’s Motrin that had spilled on the couch over nine hours earlier that day. The puppy seemed fine at first, but then he started to vomit. The Pet Poison Hotline advised taking the pet to the emergency hospital. He was hospitalized and monitored for four days, but the puppy recovered and appeared to have no long-term damage from the incident.
Unfortunate falls: An eight-year-old pit bull jumped off a couch and suddenly became paralyzed in her hind end. Her pet parents rushed her to the vet, who diagnosed her with intervertebral disc disease. After receiving surgery to fix her disc herniation, she recovered well and regained motor function.
Toys that become treacherous: A seven-month-old standard poodle was vomiting, was lethargic, and appeared uncomfortable for two days. A physical exam revealed he was dehydrated, and radiographs showed a foreign object trapped in his stomach. He was transferred to the surgical unit to remove the foreign object, which turned out to be a squeaker toy. He was kept overnight for observation before being sent home to recover with his family.
All of these accidents could have happened to any pet owner, and the experience can result in an unexpected, costly bill from the vet.
To help avoid having an incident like this in 2023, here are a few tips for pet parents from MetLife Pet Insurance:
To learn more and protect your pets in the coming year, visit MetLifePetInsurance.com.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here