This Saturday, November 17, regular deer season opens in the southern zone of New York State. Hunters will be permitted to hunt deer with guns through December 9, according to New York’s Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC).
The Elisha P. Strong mansion in Starrucca, PA, shown here during restoration, is one of the most elegant homes in Wayne County, and its owner was one of the most influential men in the county’s history.
Lately, when driving up and down Route 97, one must navigate through a flurry of construction. This transitional period of our local roads hearkens back to the early 20th century, when Route 97 (originally planned to be called Route 3-A) was first built.
Although doctors around the world were beginning to hope that the disastrous flu epidemic of 1918 might be waning, at the end of October, Dr. William M. Lynch, the superintendent of Farview State Hospital for the Criminal Insane in Canaan Township, was putting out a call for help.
With the Delaware River running along the border of many local towns, eel fishing has been an asset to the community’s economy for centuries.
The Wayne County Historical Society owns a rare copy of “Lucy Ann Lobdell, the Female Hunter of Delaware and Sullivan Counties, NY,” the personal account of a woman from our area who lived much of her life as a man. WCHS member and volunteer Lisa Macchia Ohliger has recently published a book combining Lucy’s words with the results of her own sc
In the month of October, carving pumpkins and setting them aglow in front of neighborhood houses is a trademark of the season. This tradition holds treasured memories for many families, and it dates back to the 17th century, when a legend—and a turnip—started it all.
On December 23, 1828, Honesdale was already a bustling community. Crews were busy building the Delaware & Hudson Canal and Gravity Railroad, which met in the new town, and families were already putting down roots in the former Dyberry Forks.
Summer is drawing to a close and, as September begins, the new school year opens for many local districts.
Though class sizes in the Upper Delaware today typically remain small compared to schools across the nation, much smaller schools once existed in the area.
John S. O’Connor built the glass-cutting factory at the foot of the Wallenpaupack Falls, Hawley, in 1890, quickly establishing a highly successful business producing American rich cut glass. The factory, constructed of native stone, was heated by steam and lighted by electricity.