Looking back

By ANN O'HARA
Posted 7/3/19

Preston Township was established in 1828 from parts of Scott and Mount Pleasant townships, and was named in honor of Samuel Preston, founder of Stockport on the Delaware and first judge of Wayne …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Looking back

Posted

Preston Township was established in 1828 from parts of Scott and Mount Pleasant townships, and was named in honor of Samuel Preston, founder of Stockport on the Delaware and first judge of Wayne County. The tiny village of Preston Park was a stop on the Ontario & Western (O&W) Railroad (Scranton Division), which was completed in 1890 and carried coal over the mountains from Scranton to Hancock, NY, where it met the Erie Railroad. A major boost to the economy of northern Wayne County, the O&W provided the local farmers with a way to get their dairy products to market quickly and safely. Herds of dairy cows grew significantly in size and large barns were built to accommodate them; expanded farmhouses became boarding houses for the city visitors who came every summer to enjoy the cool Wayne County breezes and participate in farm life. The O&W lasted until 1957, when trucks largely replaced rail transport.

From the collection of the Wayne County Historical Society 810 Main St., Honesdale. The museum and research library are open Wednesday through Saturday, 10 a. m.-4 p. m. and museum only 12-4 pm Sunday.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment