JEFFERSONVILLE, NY — Before the opening bell of Thursday’s non-league varsity baseball game against the Yellowjackets of Eldred, the six-pack of graduating seniors got off to a good start …
JEFFERSONVILLE, NY — Before the opening bell of Thursday’s non-league varsity baseball game against the Yellowjackets of Eldred, the six-pack of graduating seniors got off to a good start as they stood up front and center to pose for photos with their proud parents and teammates during senior baseball recognition night ceremony—well, afternoon, to be correct.
“I’m very proud of all of them, particularly our senior leaders… they really kept this team focused throughout the season," said assistant coach Scott Haberli before introducing the seniors and their respective parents.
* Michael Peters (#24) was joined by his parents Dennis and Susan Peters. He will be attending SUNY Morrisville, majoring in agricultural business. During his career as a scholar athlete at Sullivan West, Peters played baseball from grades 8-12; basketball in grades 7-8, and 10-12; and football in grades 7-11. He is a member of the National Honor Society.
* Brandon Dailey (#1) was accompanied by his folks, Jennifer and Steven Dailey. He plans to enroll at SUNY Sullivan and major in sports management. In addition to the game of swats, Dailey has played basketball for several years, and has been on the honor roll. He was named to all-tournament teams at both the O’Neil and Walton basketball tourneys.
* Shaine Hubert (#23) was joined by his parents Matthew and Nicole Hubert. He plans to attend Utica College and major in criminal justice. In addition to playing baseball from grades 7-12, he was on the football squad during those same seasons. Hubert is frequently selected to be on the school’s honor roll. In football, he was named to the all-section team as well as the Sullivan County All Star Team. Last season, he received the Most Improved Baseball Player award.
* Collin Hauschild (#11) stood proudly with his folks John and Dawn Hauschild. After graduation, he will be continuing his football career while studying at Earlham College. He played baseball at Sullivan West for six years, and since the seventh grade was a member on the basketball and football squads. Hauschild is regularly named to the principal’s list and is a member of the National Honor Society. In football, he was named Most Valuable Player, tabbed for the all-section team, and selected as Player of the Year by a local newspaper. In the game of hoops, he was named Defensive Most Valuable Player.
* Alex Schwalb (#16) was joined by Wendy and Richard Schwalb. He plans to pursue a degree in education at the University of Albany. He played baseball in grades 10-12. Schwalb is a member of the National Honor Society, the student council, and is regularly selected to be on the superintendent’s list.
* John McCormack is the son of John and Sue McCormack, He was joined on the field by his fellow seniors. McCormack plans to attend SUNY Sullivan with high hopes of continuing his baseball career, and after graduating from the local community college earn a four-year degree. He played baseball at the Home of the Bulldogs every season since seventh grade, and football from grades 7-10. Last year, he led his team with its highest batting average of .458, posted the highest on-base percentage, and had the highest quality at bat percentage. McCormack is a regular member of the honor roll.
A special thanks to Scott Haberli, assistant high school principal and veteran baseball coach/assistant coach for compiling the information used to honor the graduating senior baseball players.