Welcome to our new web site!

To give our readers a chance to experience all that our new website has to offer, we have made all content freely available, through August 1, 2019.

During this time, print and digital subscribers will not need to log in to view our stories or e-editions.

Looking Back
Currently viewing stories posted within the past year.
For all older stories, please use our advanced search.
135 results total, viewing 41 - 60
Initially, Wayne Borough was established in 1853 from portions of Scott and Preston Townships. The town was renamed Starrucca in 1873 and sits at the confluence of the Starrucca and Shadigee creeks. … more
This Saturday, November 17, regular deer season opens in the southern zone of New York State. Hunters will be permitted to hunt deer with guns through December 9, according to New York’s … more
The Elisha P. Strong mansion in Starrucca, PA, shown here during restoration, is one of the most elegant homes in Wayne County, and its owner was one of the most influential men in the county’s … more
Lately, when driving up and down Route 97, one must navigate through a flurry of construction. This transitional period of our local roads hearkens back to the early 20th century, when Route 97 … more
Although doctors around the world were beginning to hope that the disastrous flu epidemic of 1918 might be waning, at the end of October, Dr. William M. Lynch, the superintendent of Farview State … more
With the Delaware River running along the border of many local towns, eel fishing has been an asset to the community’s economy for centuries. Back in the 1600s, when the Plymouth colonists made … more
The Wayne County Historical Society owns a rare copy of “Lucy Ann Lobdell, the Female Hunter of Delaware and Sullivan Counties, NY,” the personal account of a woman from our area who … more
In the month of October, carving pumpkins and setting them aglow in front of neighborhood houses is a trademark of the season. This tradition holds treasured memories for many families, and it dates … more
On December 23, 1828, Honesdale was already a bustling community. Crews were busy building the Delaware & Hudson Canal and Gravity Railroad, which met in the new town, and families were already … more
Summer is drawing to a close and, as September begins, the new school year opens for many local districts. Though class sizes in the Upper Delaware today typically remain small compared to schools … more
John S. O’Connor built the glass-cutting factory at the foot of the Wallenpaupack Falls, Hawley, in 1890, quickly establishing a highly successful business producing American rich cut glass. … more
On Saturday, September 1, 2018, two veterans of the Civil War will be honored after a century and a half. Harrison and John M. Chandler died of disease and were buried in unmarked graves. Harrison … more
This early photo of the Delaware & Hudson Canal near Tryon Street in Honesdale demonstrates why it took seven to 10 days for a boat to travel to Rondout (Kingston) on the Hudson River after being … more
In the late-1800s, local regions were thriving after the explosion of a new industry: acid factories. The birth of the wood chemical industry sparked growth in towns, as employees flocked to Delaware … more
Lyman Louis Lemnitzer was born August 29, 1899 in Honesdale, PA, second son of Mr. and Mrs. William L. Lemnitzer. Graduating 86th of 271 in his West Point class of 1920, Lemnitzer was stationed for a … more
What was old is new again! The Long Eddy home, known as “Bluestone Terraces” due to its intricate stone walls throughout the property, has recently received a major renovation, bringing … more
Adolph Linke was one of five Bohemian decorators recruited by Carl Prosch in 1901 to work in Christian Dorflinger’s Honesdale Decorating Company in Seelyville, PA. By 1910, Adolph, his wife … more
Baseball season is nearing the halfway point, with the Major League All-Star Game coming up on July 17. But before the days of designated hitters, pitch counts and multi-million dollar contracts, … more
The Glass Factory School was located in Dyberry Township, in the area known since the very early days of Wayne County as the “Old Glass Factory Road” or “Coffee-Pot Road.” The … more
June brings about the season of graduation for many local seniors, but it also evokes a nostalgia for those who fondly look back on their own commencement ceremonies. In 1934, Long Eddy High School … more
« Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next »
Currently viewing stories posted within the past year.
For all older stories, please use our advanced search.