Adolph Linke was one of five Bohemian decorators recruited by Carl Prosch in 1901 to work in Christian Dorflinger’s Honesdale Decorating Company in Seelyville, PA. By 1910, Adolph, his wife Pauline, son Richard and daughters Amelia, Adolphine, Bertha, Annie and Frances were living on Beech Grove Road.
Baseball season is nearing the halfway point, with the Major League All-Star Game coming up on July 17. But before the days of designated hitters, pitch counts and multi-million dollar contracts, baseball was played as a pastime in our area.
The Glass Factory School was located in Dyberry Township, in the area known since the very early days of Wayne County as the “Old Glass Factory Road” or “Coffee-Pot Road.” The latter name supposedly came from the pupils at the Glass Factory School heating their lunch beverage on the school stove.
June brings about the season of graduation for many local seniors, but it also evokes a nostalgia for those who fondly look back on their own commencement ceremonies.
Lawrence “Bones” Freiermuth of Indian Orchard recently told the story of a terrible car accident that took place 60 years ago, on July 6, 1958. Earlier that Sunday, Bones (19) and his friend Bill Malti (18) had failed to qualify for further racing at the Beach Lake track.
As warm weather finally returns and schools finish the academic year for summer vacation, the time for making hay has begun. This photo shows hay piled high on the back of a truck in Livingston Manor, NY in the early 1900s.
The Jericho post office in Buckingham Township was moved in 1860 to Lake Como, known for many years as Six Mile Lake. A large tannery was established there in 1859 by Leonard A. Allison, John Davidge, Horace H. Crary and Lucian Horton, who came to the area from Delaware County, NY.
Delaware Valley High School band marches in the 1956 Fremont Center Memorial Day parade. (Arnie’s “Scrounge Lounge” is seen the the rear right of the photo.)
The Land House on the Delaware River just north of Milanville, PA is considered the oldest house in Wayne County. It was built in 1796 by John Land, son of early settler Robert Land, who was sent to Cushetunk in 1763 as a justice of the peace for the Crown.
After a harsh winter, spring is finally upon us, and local farms will soon boast lush fields of crops.