HONESDALE, PA — Wayne Highlands School District has announced its plan for returning to school in the fall. In response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, on Wednesday, July 29 the district posted "three instructional options" on its website for parents and students to choose from:
1.Traditional Learning (In-Person)
- Health and Safety Protocols - A top priority
- Maintain in-person connections with teachers and classmates
- attend school Monday through Friday in-person
- Transportation and lunch available daily
- All the benefits of a quality Wayne Highlands education
2.Wayne Highlands LIVE (Learning In Virtual Environment)
- Learning at home with your child’s Wayne Highlands teachers
- Instruction both “Live” (synchronous) and recorded (asynchronous)
- Virtual engagement and interaction with Wayne Highlands’ teachers and classmates
- Identical curriculum and instruction as in-school peers
3.Wayne Highlands Virtual Campus
- Online education program in coordination with VLN partners
- Quality curriculum aligned to Wayne Highlands’ courses of study
- Remain a Wayne Highlands student
- Local connection through Wayne Highlands liaison
The district has encouraged parents to review the recently adopted health and safety plan and to attend Q&A sessions with their students' principals to help inform their decisions. The Q&A schedule is as follows:
- Damascus Area School on Monday, August 3 at 7 p.m.
- Honesdale High School on Tuesday, August 4 at 7:30 p.m.
- Lakeside Elementary School on Thursday, August 6 at 6 p.m.
- Preston Area School on Monday, August 3 at 6 p.m.
- Stourbridge Primary Center on Wednesday, August 5, Kindergarten at 5 p.m., Grades 1 & 2 at 6:15 p.m.
- Wayne Highlands Middle School on Tuesday, August 4 at 6 p.m.
The district noted that this plan is subject to change.
"Should Gov. Tom Wolf declare Wayne County a different color designation (yellow or red), options will be presented accordingly," it said.
This is an ongoing story. The River Reporter will continue covering this story online and in print as more information is made available.