Looking back

By ANN O'HARA
Posted 7/31/19

The Delaware & Hudson (D&H) Canal Company’s Canal and Gravity Railroad closed forever in 1898 after 90 years of hauling people, coal and other goods between Carbondale, PA and Kingston, …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Looking back

Posted

The Delaware & Hudson (D&H) Canal Company’s Canal and Gravity Railroad closed forever in 1898 after 90 years of hauling people, coal and other goods between Carbondale, PA and Kingston, NY on the Hudson River. The two met in Honesdale at a point behind the current Wayne County Historical Society, once the headquarters of the company. Coal was brought 15 miles from Carbondale via the gravity railroad to Honesdale where it was loaded onto canal boats or, in winter, stored until the canal thawed in the spring. In its later years, “the gravity” carried passengers as well. The system was gradually supplanted by the maze of railroads that covered the United States in the 19th century; trains were faster and more accessible, and canals became obsolete. Collections of photos, artifacts and information about D&H are available at the Wayne County, Waymart Area and Carbondale historical societies.

From the collection of the Wayne County Historical Society, 810 Main St., Honesdale. The museum and research library are open Wednesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The museum is open from 12 noon to 4 p.m. on Sunday.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment