Looking Back

Posted 7/10/19

The Six Mile Lake

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Looking Back

Photos contributed by the Wayne County Historical Society

In 1819, Wayne County pioneer Elihu Tallman bought a large pine tract at Six Mile Lake (now Lake Como), including a saw mill that was under construction. Upon completion, that same saw mill produced the lumber for the first raft that floated down the Delaware  River from Stockport. A large tannery was built in Lake Como in 1859, by Leonard H. Allison, John Davidge, Horace H. Crary and Lucian Horton from Delaware County, NY. They also bought a large tract of hemlock forest from Daniel Underwood. Mr. Allison was not happy with the name Six Mile Lake and rechristened it Lake Como after the famous body of water in Lombardy, Italy. After a series of owners and suffering several serious fires, the business eventually passed to a large leather concern, the Hoyt Brothers of New York City. When the hemlock bark ran out, they sold the land to local businessman N. F. Underwood, and Lake Como became the center of a farming and a summer resort community surrounded by attractive “cottages,” which it remained at the turn of the 21st century.

From the files of the Wayne County Historical Society. The museum and library are open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m Wednesday through Saturday.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment