our country home
Get ready for spring
RR photo by Jonathan Charles Fox
This is a perfect time to prepare for spring. Here is a to-do list that will keep you on track as the weather gets warm.
- Call your plumber or licensed heating contractor and have your furnace tuned up and cleaned.
- Clean and check your air conditioners. Now is the time to make sure they are in working order; don’t wait for the first heatwave.
- Remove storm windows and replace them with screens.
- Test and change batteries in smoke alarms, thermostats and garage door remote controls.
- Have your home inspected for mold, inside and out.
- Clean out the garage and sheds; complete an inventory on seasonal tools.
- Check your garden for winter wear and broken or damaged trees.
- Start planning the garden; order seeds and shrubs now for the best selection.
- Test your gas-powered garden tools. Order any new tools now before the spring rush.
- Check the air in the tires of your mower and wheelbarrows.
- Examine your front and back steps to make sure they are in good condition.
- Make sure your gutters are in good condition.
- Using a pair of binoculars, check the condition of the roofs on your house, garage, porch and sheds.
- Remove bird feeders where bears can get at them. You can still enjoy the birds as long as the feeders are out of reach.
- Check shrubs and susceptible plants for deer damage replace them with new plants.
- Replace winter-damaged garden paths and repair broken steps or borders.
- Now’s a good time to order new patio furniture and accessories.
- If you have a screened-in porch, check for broken or damaged areas. If you don’t, consider screening in your porch before the insects arrive.
- Come in out of the cold with a cozy greenhouse for early planting. You can have one custom made or order a pre-fab.
- Consider planning an outdoor kitchen for easy summer entertaining.
- Warm things up with an outdoor fireplace, patio heater or fire pit.
- Thinking of installing a pool or hot tub? Now’s the perfect time to find good deals and book an installation.
- Test your water. It’s a good idea to test well water once a year. Early spring is a good time to check for groundwater problems.
- Inspect built-in planters, empty them of snow and ice and make any necessary repairs.
- Get your gas or charcoal grill in order. Check the lines and fittings for leaks and corrosion.