Looking back

From the canal

By ANN O'HARA
Posted 2/12/20

The Delaware and Hudson Canal (D&H) began its course to the Hudson River in Honesdale at a point behind the present-day Wayne County Historical Society, which was once the headquarters of the …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in
Looking back

From the canal

Posted

The Delaware and Hudson Canal (D&H) began its course to the Hudson River in Honesdale at a point behind the present-day Wayne County Historical Society, which was once the headquarters of the D&H. There the canal met the D&H Gravity Railroad, which brought coal and passengers from the mines and Carbondale respectively to Honesdale, where it was loaded on canal boats for the 104-mile journey to Kingston. There the coal was loaded on larger boats and taken down the Hudson River to New York City, where it was shipped all over the world. This scene shows the canal as it left Honesdale. The street beside the canal is now Route 6 (Willow Avenue) and the street leading off to the right was and remains Tryon Street. The mule on the towpath was probably led by a member of the family of the captain but might also be an orphan hired for the purpose. The Delaware and Hudson Canal opened in 1828 and closed in 1898.

From the files of the Wayne County Historical Society. The museum and library are open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday and Saturday through April. 



Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment