Welcome to our new web site!
To give our readers a chance to experience all that our new website has to offer, we have made all content freely available, through August 1, 2019.
During this time, print and digital subscribers will not need to log in to view our stories or e-editions.
Even small changes can produce big results when it comes to decorating the exterior of your home. Adding curb appeal just requires a combination of a little imagination and inspiration. Check out this list of projects that can easily dress up any style house and make it look its best—and in some cases, even enhance its value.
1. Incorporate colorful flowers and shrubs; the right plants can accentuate a home’s best feature or do a nice job hiding its flaws.
2. Place a colorful welcome mat to set the tone of a cheerful visit.
3. Freshen up outdoor furnishings with bright colored stains or paint and new colorful cushions.
4. Cover damaged or old front steps with treated wood or composite deck material.
5. Paint the front door and window shutters a fresh new color that complements the home’s exterior.
6. Add a burst of color with bright window boxes placed in the front of the house.
7. Replace the front-door hardware and install a new set of address numbers to your door and mailbox.
8. Switch the front-door windows with beveled or stained glass.
9. Add a decorative birdbath on the front lawn.
10. Refresh the look of the garage with paint, stain, new door hinges, decorative molding, hardware and/or light fixtures.
11. Using paint or wood stain, stencil a simple design on your garage door.
12. Add or replace solar path lights.
13. Purchase a ready-made trash-can bin or build a custom bin.
14. Replace old trash cans with new ones, decorate with spray-painted stencils.
15. Add awnings over windows.
16. Paint the porch railing a cheerful color.
17. Replace old gutters and downspouts with more attractive copper units.
18. Buy a new mailbox or paint the old one a bright color.
19. Paint or stain the outside chimney a contrasting color to the house.
20. Replace street lamp and house lights with new fixtures.