The tiny village of Sherman lies at the very northernmost part of Scott Township, Wayne County. Originally called New Baltimore and renamed for General William Tecumseh Sherman, it was once a bustling center of industry, beginning with lumbering.
The headquarters of the Wayne County Historical Society has quite a history of its own. The brick building has been standing at 810 Main Street in Honesdale since 1860 when it was built by Rodney Tillou and Charles Ball for use as the office of the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company.
Methodist services in Fosterdale, NY started in 1865 as classes in homes, led by a circuit-rider preacher. A church was organized in 1871, with services iheld n the old Fosterdale schoolhouse. The Fosterdale United Methodist Church (FUMC) building was dedicated in the fall of 1881.
The first dispatch from Honesdale after the disastrous 1942 flood was written by local reporter Hartley J. Sanford and published in the Philadelphia Inquirer on May 25. He reported, “A dozen railroad freight cars were picked up like matchboxes and tossed into a pile by the water. Automobiles were thrown into stores.
The Jeffersonville Mountain Climbers and Snowmobile Club is pictured stopping for lunch (mid ‘70s), at Sam & Al’s on Route 52. Cochecton Preservation Socity historian Arthur Hassis remembers this day. When they all settled in, there were 62 machines parked outside.
Carl Prosch, a native of Vienna, Austria, trained in the celebrated art schools of that city and New York and was brought to Wayne County by Christian Dorflinger to manage the new Honesdale Decorating Company, a wholly-owned subsidiary of glass cutters C. Dorflinger & Sons. Inc.
The year is 1940, and here are students gathered in the sunshine at the Cochecton schoolhouse, now known as the old Cochecton town hall. Arthur Hassis, historian for the Cochecton Preservation Society, is standing in front of the teacher, a very youthful Miss Mary Martin (right). There are actually three classes in this group.
Elvira Kennedy Brownscombe was born in 1809 to David and Rhoda Stearns Kennedy in Mt. Pleasant Township, Wayne County. David Kennedy’s father, David Sr., and wife Rhoda (Tingley) had emigrated from Tolland County, CT in 1794, among the very earliest settlers in the area.
The Patrons of Husbandry Charter was issued April 13, 1948 by the State Grange of New York to recognize the subordinate grange organized in 1915 by David Muirhead to become Fosterdale Grange No. 1371.
Benjamin F. Haines founded The Wayne Independent in 1878 and led the opposition to the construction of the new courthouse in Honesdale. That battle lost, but he stayed on as editor, publisher and owner of the newspaper.