Looking Back 11/16
One of the Cochecton community organizations is the Women’s Community Club of Cochecton; (WCCC) founded April 17, 1956. According to the 86-stanza poem by Ethel Rohrmann Hulse, their first president was Eve Palmer and their first task was to raise funds to help a neighbor who “needed a helping hand.”
The WCCC is still active today. Current president Pamela DeMan, vice president Nancy Campis and treasurer Judy Yavarkovsky and members hold the club to its mission to help the community. Fundraisers provide scholarships to graduating students of Sullivan West who recognize the importance of volunteering in the community. Members remember the homebound during the holidays. Past meetings provided members and guests with Red Cross safety training and a “GOT” (Getting Older Together) presentation, a new organization to assist neighbors residing in Narrowsburg, Cochecton Township and Callicoon. Above is a newspaper clipping from the collection of Arthur Hassis, with the caption, “12 years service of WCCC.” Below is a 1925 picture from Ray Ehrle. His mother was a member of the East Cochecton Community Club.
Any reader who knows of the history and transition of ECC to WCCC please email email@example.com or call Arthur Hassis, 845/482-5411. The Cochecton Papers committee would like to include this in Book III.