Photo contributed by the Wayne County Historical Society

Looking Back 11/5/18

HONESDALE, PA — The relocation of Owl Chrysler Plymouth Jeep in 2005 marked the end of more than 152 years of transportation-related businesses at its Church Street site in Honesdale. That location is now occupied by the Dime Bank and its parking lot.

Allis Whitney, who constructed the original stone barn, was born in Harford, Susquehanna County. A carpenter, he moved to Honesdale in 1839 and soon became one of the most prominent builders in the thriving canal town, but by 1849 his ill health led his doctors to recommend outdoor employment, and he began a livery, or stable, business consisting of two horses. That lead in 1853 to the purchase of a livery business located at 818 Second (now Church) Street. After two disastrous fires threatened to destroy his business, Whitney built the stone structure familiar to generations of Honesdale citizens. In later years, the Whitney livery provided transportation to Honesdale for passengers from the Erie Railroad, whose trains terminated in Tracyville. Allis Whitney died in 1889, when the business was turned over to two of his sons, Horace and George, and to Fred G. Rickard in 1909.

From the collection of the Wayne County Historical Society, 810 Main St. The museum, research library and museum shop are open Wednesday through Saturday, 10 a. m. to 4 p. m.

 

Privacy Policy & Terms of Use

Copyright 2018 Stuart Communications, Inc.

PO Box 150, 93 Erie Avenue

Narrowsburg NY 12764

(845) 252-7414

All Rights Reserved