Samuel W. Pennypacker was governor of Pennsylvania in 1903 when the Wayne Hatchery #4 was built in Pleasant Mount. Wayne Hatchery #4 originally sat on 14 acres of property donated by Alison B. Sterling. The major water source is the Lackawaxen River via Beaver Meadows Reservoir (Belmont Lake), obtained in 1917.
Pictured is the No. 1 Lake Huntington Fire Company finishing up after a house fire. Pictured, top right, is a hose cart, possibly the one currently displayed at the Cochecton Depot, donated by the late Solomon Katzoff. The company consisted of two trucks, (Model T Fords), one chemical truck and two pumpers.
Picture courtesy of Mae Porr Carroll; shared by Victoria and Keith Krauss
Faster than fairies, Faster than witches,
Bridges and Houses, hedges and ditches,
And charging along like troops in a battle,
All through the meadows the horses and cattle;
All of the sights of the hill and the plain
Giles Greene was born in 1823, one of 12 children and a descendant of General Nathaniel Greene of Revolutionary War fame. The children were put to work at an early age, and Giles only attended school for two or three months a year. At 21, he went to work as a teamster for the D&H Gravity Railroad in Carbondale, PA.
As a boy, Tom Scott was fascinated by railroad engines that passed by while he worked on his father’s 35-acre farm. He also liked to heat and shape metal. At 16, Tom was apprenticed to Jake Maas, Cochecton Center’s blacksmith. In 1906 he took over Schneider’s smithy in Cochecton.
Damascus Township, the largest of the original townships created in 1798, is still the largest. Damascus was the site of many historic events, beginning with the first settlement of Cushetunk along the Delaware River. Joseph Skinner and his family, who arrived about 1755, were probably the earliest of the Connecticut settlers.
Ice harvesting season in Lake Huntington, shown here circa early 1920s, used to take place in January or February, depending on thickness of ice. The first hole cut was large enough to hold a wooden chute. Blocks of ice varied in size, from 24 inches square to 22 inches by 42 inches.
James Archbald was born on March 3, 1793 in Ayrshire, Scotland, to a family of shepherds. The family emigrated to the U. S. in 1805 when James was 12 and settled on a farm in New York’s Mohawk Valley. In 1824 he went into the canal and railroad industry, in 1829 replacing John B.
Early settlers along the Delaware often crossed the river in the course of their daily lives. For them, the river was not a state boundary but just one more obstacle to overcome to get where they wanted to go.
Although opened in 1829 for the transportation of anthracite from the coalfields in Lackawanna County to the terminus of the Delaware & Hudson Canal in Honesdale, PA, the D&H Gravity Railroad later came to include passenger cars.